Monday, July 28, 2008

You think you are helping but .........

Someone in your organization calls you every time they have a personal problem or maybe the company made a mistake on their order or maybe they are just phoning because they thought they were going to have a bigger check than what they got. They phone you and they want you to listen to them, fix the problem, make their lives easier. That's what you are there for aren't you?

As a leader, is it your role to fix problems? Is it your role to listen to every problem? Some would say "yes".

Others will agree with Zig Ziegler and say "That's stinkin' thinkin'". They are the ones who will know and act on the knowledge that every hour spent on listening to someone's woes is an hour lost on moving their business forward. You can tell, if you listen, to the attitude behind the complaint or tale of woe. Are they making excuses? "I can't build my business if my check is late or I can't build my business if the product doesn't arrive until 2 days after the expected delivery date. I can't, I can't, I can't" and they are right. They can't.

A leader will look at a problem and see an opportunity. "Great the product is back ordered. It's so popular it sells out quickly so you better get your order in fast." That's a leader.

A leader will succeed despite the problems. And every company, let me repeat, every company is going to have some problems, some of the time. How do I know? It's simple. Companies have people working for them and nobody is perfect. Not your upline, not your downline, nor your sideline, nor the company service reps, the Chairman, the shipping clerks, etc. They are all human beings functioning within their sphere of influence.

A leader will acknowledge it, take whatever the problem is and accept the challenge continuing on the road to success.

Other's will not. What will you choose? Dwell on the problems or accept the inevitable and move on.

To your success,
Joyce Penner

1 comment:

Melanie Kissell said...

Wow ... talk about poignant!

I have always prided myself in being a good listener (Yellow personalities are, you know!). However, as a leader, I need to decide EXACTLY what I'm willing to listen to!

Your post has awakened me to my choices,

~melanie